Home / National News / Interior Ministry approves request for MQM founder’s red warrants

Interior Ministry approves request for MQM founder’s red warrants

ISLAMABAD: The Ministry of Interior on Tuesday approved issuance of red warrants for the London-based founder of Muttahida Qaumi Movement in a hate speech case.

The approval for issuance of red warrants for the MQM supremo was granted in a case registered against him with Karachi police over a provocative speech delivered by him in last year and for inciting people to violence.

An anti-terrorism court in Karachi has declared the MQM supremo absconder in the case. Besides that, he is also wanted in several other cases in Pakistan.

Sources told Geo News that the request for issuance of red warrants came from Sindh Home Department.

Commenting on Tuesday’s development, British MP Naz Shah said approval of red warrants for the MQM chief was a ‘major breakthrough’.

“We will now see what the Scotland Yard does in this regard,” she added.

Interpol & British investigation agencies
Geo News has learnt that Interpol will send red warrants to Britain’s National Crime Agency, when received by Pakistan.

NCA spokesman has said that until today no warrants were received, adding, “Action will be taken as per law when warrant received”.

Scotland Yard told Geo News: Investigation into the broadcasts of an individual linked with the MQM continues.

“Its in receipt from Pakistan of speeches and transcript along with the video material linked with this investigation, confirmed a spokesman for the Scotland Yard.

“There are several broadcasts which are being looked into,” he added.

Interpol says: If or when police in any of INTERPOL’s 190 member countries share information with the General Secretariat in Lyon, in relation to investigations and fugitives, this information remains under the ownership of that member country.

Interpol does not therefore comment on specific cases or individuals except in special circumstances and with approval of the member country concerned.

“Such dramas are being staged since 1992 and the rulers will be failed in this fresh episode,” said MQM-London leader Qasim Ali Raza.

He said the MQM founder was not the reason behind public issues, adding, “The nation rather has extremism and unemployment as their greatest problems”.

On August 22, 2016, the self-exiled MQM leader, in speech to participants of a hunger strike outside Karachi Press Club, had incited party workers to take to the streets, ransack media houses and vandalise property.

At least one person died and eight others were injured in the ensuing violence.

In an extraordinary turn of events, the MQM leaders in Pakistan distanced themselves from the party founder over his anti-Pakistan rhetoric during the inflammatory speech.

MQM leader Farooq Sattar has since taken over the command of Pakistan faction of the party, renaming it as MQM-Pakistan.

About Parliament Times

Check Also

Naval Chief visits PN fleet units at sea

Karachi: Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Zafar Mehmood Abbasi witnessed an impressive operational demo …